Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Ms. Marvel Review - Reconsidering the Superhero

This week I decided to take a look at a few volumes of Ms. Marvel, and I will say now that I might continue this series, because I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it! The first thing that brought me into this series is the art style. I’ve probably talked about this before, but I’m a huge sucker for that mix between cartoony and realistic in character designs with the slight inspiration from Japanese anime and such. The expressions are very well done and I found a lot of the characters cute and appealing.

The most interesting concept that stuck out to me the most was the fact that Kamala, the female protagonist of the series, is a minority, which is something I haven’t seen very much in superhero comics. She plays the role of a typical teenage girl, however, she lives in a strict and religious family, so she isn’t able to have a lot of fun with her cool friends, not to mention hang out with boys by herself at all. Of course, the result of this is a rebellious attitude, which is something I find a little different in a character who is supposed to be a superhero.


The thing that really confused me is how Kamala becomes Ms. Marvel though. Like the character Ms. Marvel already exists to everybody in this world, except like a comic book hero, but appears before Kamala in a haze, and turns Kamala into Ms. Marvel. That’s the best way I could word this, really. On the other hand, though, I think it’s a pretty creative way to turn a character into a superhero. I feel like how this happened is explained further into the series. Needless to say, I’m definitely going to make time to read all the Ms. Marvel comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment