Thursday, November 10, 2016

This One Summer - Review - Women in Comics

This One Summer by Jillian and Mariko Tamaki seriously nails growing up perfectly. My absolute favourite thing about this comic is how nostalgic it feels. The comic takes place during a long lasting summer, paired with motifs of friendship and adolescence, as well as family and relationships, through Rose’s eyes. The thoughts, actions, and emotions of Rose and her friend Windy are very accurate to the nature of a young woman growing up. The way they react with adult situations is heavily relatable, and I have experienced similar feelings as them when I was around their age, so I believe both characters are wonderfully written within the story. At some points while reading this, I even thought to myself “Wow, I’ve been there too,” or “I would think the same way if I were in her shoes.”
Another thing I really loved about this comic was the art. Mariko Tamaki has a rather cute style that I found very charming and kept me hooked into the story. The way she draws expressions gives the people in the comic a lot of character and really makes them believable. I actually looked into more of her artwork and I felt it to be very inspiring. Her way of drawing people is a nice hybrid between realism and cartoon, a kind of technique that I admire very much and I actually draw people in a similar fashion.

This One Summer is a beautiful comic all around and I think it may be one of my top favourite comics I’ve read all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment